YOU'RE ON THE VERGE OF SOMETHING BIG.
What does a doula do?
Benefits of a doula
- Whether you are giving birth in a hospital, birth center, or at home, you will have skilled medical professionals such as nurses, midwives, and doctors who are focused on making sure you have a safe birth. But many people in labor find that no matter how much they have prepared or how many medical practitioners are present, it is reassuring to have a knowledgeable person at the birth who is accountable only to them.
- Having a doula has been shown in numerous studies to improve medical outcomes in birth, including:
- 50% reduction in the need for Cesarean delivery
- 25% shorter labor
- 60% fewer requests for epidural anesthesia
- Nearly double the rate of successful breastfeeding
- Read more about the clinical benefits of a doula at DONA International and at the American Pregnancy Association.
Why choose Verge?
As a queer person who experienced many years of fertility treatments and pregnancy loss, she understands different kinds of families and that pregnancy can be both a joy and a source of worry. Her life experience helps her to be particularly attuned to those who are umothered or untethered to their family of origin. Patti has had a long career of amplifying voices and clearing paths. More about Patti
- The doula package is coupled with support service before and after birth and includes the following:
- Complimentary initial conversation via email, phone, or in person to discuss services and determine whether Verge is the right fit for you
- One to two comprehensive prenatal meeting(s) to discuss in depth your pregnancy history, birth preferences, and other information that will help prepare you for the birth and help provide the best support to you
- Unlimited phone and email consultation during your pregnancy
- Attendance at your labor and delivery, including emotional, physical, and informational support
- Postpartum visit to help with feeding, birth recovery, sleep issues, other questions
- Cost: The cost for the package is offered on a sliding scale. Sliding scale information can be found here.
- Many Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) will cover all or part of doula services. Verge can provide you with an itemized receipt you can submit directly to your insurance carrier for reimbursement.
AFFIRM YOUR POWER
ADVOCATE FOR YOUR VISION & CHOICES
SUPPORT PARTNERS IN SUPPORTING YOU